Thursday 16 June 2011

PhD

This could be the penultimate post on this site. The PhD is in the bag, quite literally, for tomorrow morning I'll pick up the hard-bound copies from Joule library thesis binding service.

It's been quite a while since I last blogged. Almost two years. A symptom of being incredibly busy while finally rolling my sleeves up and writing the damn thesis. Regrettably, it came a little late, my funding ran out at the end of year 3 (autumn 2009) and rather unwisely I had to do most of my write-up in year 4 (2010). A lot happened in the run-up to autumn 2009, much of which was recorded on a blog elsewhere, but that's another story.

Whilst half-way through the write-up I thought paid employment would be a good thing and got myself a think tank policy wonk job. A year on, much blood, sweat and tears later, I can finally call myself a doctor. I don't think I was great company in the last 12 months or so, the pressure of it all got the best of me. But here we are, on the other side of the PhD experience.

In the last month or so I started in my new two-job arrangement. One with my old department at the university to pursue my academic interests, the other with the think thank. Consequently, I have no spare time to speak of and one really shouldn't continue like this for too long.

The PhD experience taught me a very important thing. Life is for living.

No comments: